The latest issue of Scientific American has many articles relevant to this forum, from GMO labeling to honeybees. 

Carolyn Caywood

Local newspaper editorial  "Scientific American magazine is enormously well-respected. But the editor’s argument against labeling GMO ingredients, made in September, comes down to this: Man has been fiddling with genomes since the dawn of agriculture. GMO food is safe. Government testing has proven it. So people don’t need to know that they are eating GMO products.    But if GMO food is safe — and all evidence supports that contention — then why not inform people which food contains it? Is there a right more fundamental than knowing what you’re putting in your body and the bodies of your children?    Because, and here’s where the argument against GMO labeling becomes insulting: Customers won’t want it anyway.    And because customers won’t want it, companies will refuse to use GMO ingredients. That will have serious environmental and economic consequences, as the Scientific American editors make clear:    “Because conventional crops often require more water and pesticides than GMOs do, the former are usually more expensive. Consequently, we would all have to pay a premium on non-GMO foods—and for a questionable return.”    That may be true. It doesn’t justify withholding available and easily communicated information."

scientific american

By latest issue, do you mean the September issue?  or the October issue?

Carolyn Caywood

September 2013

Scientific American Magazine September 2013 Issue

Speaking for myself and not the Ag Update Committee, this is a good resource! <, subscription required>  I particularly like the article about "Are Engineered Foods Evil?" by David H. Freedman on pages 80-85.

There is also a interesting editorial on page 10 entitled, "Fight the GM Food Scare, Mandatory labels for genetically modified foods are a bad idea;" although, I think the writer falls into the same trap as the proponents of GM labeling in speaking as if all GM foods are the same issue. Each GM food is very different from others and should be judged on its own pros and cons, like any new product that is brought to market. 

Norman Turrill
LWV of Oregon Board Member
former LWVUS Board Member
former LWVUS Agriculture Update Chair
former LWVUS Board Technology Chair
Portland, OR

crop insurance resource

Thr NRDC came out with a report  : "Soil Matters",  at the end of August.  It is very informative and offers constructive ideas.  I think it should be recommended  reading.  It's on the internet

Question: In addition to lobbying Congress, does LWV also lobby government agencies?  Given Congress seeming inability to pass construcrtive legislation, this may be our only hope for making needed changes.