One of the many important business items at national convention is the review and possible amendment of the LWVUS Bylaws. Below is the process that Leagues should use to propose an amendment. All proposed amendments are reviewed by the Bylaws Committee.
Members of the 2018 committee include:
- Jackie Jacobberger
- Toni Larson
- Jessica Lowe-Minor
- Caroline Sedlacek
- Brenda Rogers, Chair
PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF BYLAW PROPOSALS: MARCH 1, 2018
1. Review current LWVUS Bylaws.
2. Bylaw amendments must be submitted by a state or local League board. Individuals may not submit bylaw amendments.
After your board has reached agreement, submit your proposed amendment(s) to the bylaws with the following information:
- Your League name and state, and your League ID number
- Approval from League leadership
- Your name and contact information
- Indicate the specific Article and Section being amended
- Quote current bylaw and your proposed changes
- Provide a rationale for each amendment
- Use [ ] brackets to denote words to be deleted
- Use ALL CAPS to denote words to be added
Example of Proper Bylaws Proposal from a prior Convention
Purposes and Policy
Section 1. Purposes. The purposes of the LWVUS are to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation [of citizens] in government and to act on selected governmental issues.
Proposed by LWV of Minneapolis (MN422)
Rationale (provided by LWV of Minneapolis): In our community and all across the country, there are thousands of immigrants who are not yet citizens. We, as the LWV, work with them to inform them about democracy and prepare them to be good citizens. Even if a resident is not a citizen he or she has a right to understand the system and to take action to ask questions of their school board members who direct the education of their children. This is true for other local officials who daily impact the lives of residents.
3. PROPOSALS will be considered ONLY if they are properly worded and received electronically by March 1, 2018. Send proposed amendments to the LWVUS Bylaws Committee through this form. Please have your proposal pre-typed and ready to copy and paste into the form.
4. If you have any questions, please contact Kelly McFarland Stratman, Bylaws Committee staff, at 202-263-1311 or by e-mail, KMcFarland@lwv.org.
5. The Convention publication, which includes proposed amendments to the bylaws, will be available online and email notice sent to Leagues at least 6 weeks prior to Convention.
6. Convention delegates will vote on any proposed changes to the LWVUS Bylaws that are submitted by the deadline and are moved during the Plenary.
Proposals must be submitted through this form in order to be considered.